Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Where's the School Pride, People?

I was in class yesterday discussing the gym closure with a couple of classmates when I told them how happy I was that I checked my mail the day before and got the notice that the gym would be closed until Thursday, thanks to Hurricane Ike and the evacuees from Key West.  You see, in order to make it to the gym early enough to get a spot in the morning spin class, which fills up quickly, I get up at 4:30, leave the house by 5:30 and arrive on campus around 6:30.  So getting up that early yesterday only to find the gym closed and class cancelled would have been a crappy way to start my day.   When I made this proclamation you should have seen the heads turn in the class. 
“Why do you have to leave so early?” Everyone asked.
“Because I live in Boynton.”  
Even more heads turned at this.  No one could believe that I make the trek, twice a week, from Boynton to Miami to take classes at FIU.  And then it happened.  They asked me the same question that people have been asking me ever since I started school last January: the same question I get each time I tell someone that I commute 68 miles, one-way, from Boynton Beach.
“Why don’t you just go to FAU?”  
Why does everyone ask me that?  Shouldn’t I be proud to go to FIU?  Where’s the school pride, people?
I’ll explain it like this.  I grew up in Boynton Beach, went to two and a half years of high school in Lantana and finished my high school education in Delaware before moving back to Boynton Beach.  While I was going to high school down here, anyone and everyone who was going to college after high school was going to FAU, providing they didn’t get into UF or FSU.  So I always kind of saw FAU as more of a safety net than as a first choice kind of college.  It was a fallback school.  FAU in Palm Beach County is probably a lot like FIU in Miami-Dade, the school that local kids go to when they can’t go somewhere else.  I guess that when I started looking at schools a couple of years back, that thought was still there: I didn’t even apply to FAU.
A few things drew me to FIU, the first being that they were building that beautiful new facility for the Marine Biology program.  Remember, before I realized that science and math just weren‘t for me, I wanted to be Jacques Cousteau.  The new football stadium was also a big draw for me.  As a huge college football fan, being here for the early stages of what has the potential to grow into a great program meant something.  I started following FIU last year during that dismal season and will continue to support them, no matter how frustrating it may be, from now on.  
Lastly, this is my first experience at a four year school.  I didn’t do well enough in high school to get into a four year school directly and had to take the community college route.  Eventually, bad choices and the bills that resulted from them would cause me to put that on hold.  So this experience at FIU is my first true college experience and I would like to try and make it as much like the experience I missed in my early 20s as possible, only without the parties and club hopping.  I’ve been to the FAU campus and, in all honesty, it doesn’t have that college campus feel.  It feels like a commuter college campus.  If I wanted the commuter college experience I would have just gone to University of Phoenix, where the credits are unlikely to transfer to a four year school, making grad school a long shot. 
University Park has that college atmosphere that I was looking for.  Sure, the Greeks never ask me to rush their frat or give me one of their little flyers as I walk down the hall of the Graham Center, and my classmates call me sir, but  I don’t feel like such the outcast.  The insecurities that plagued me during my first semester are gone now.
I like FIU just fine, thank you very much.  That’s why I don’t go to FAU.   
I had an all-time high seven votes in last weeks poll.  Thank you to those of you who participated.  This week's poll will relate to this blog entry somehow, vote away!

No comments: