Wednesday, September 17, 2008

College and the George Lucas Casting Call

I won’t bother putting up a poll question asking college students to take a side, pro or con, on the issue of human cloning.  Just by being on campus twice a week and looking around,  I know that the majority would be in favor of it.  Not since the last time I watched Star Wars Episode II have I seen so many robotic look-a-likes.  It makes me wonder if the government hasn’t already perfected genetic cloning beyond that of sheep and I didn’t get the memo.
The most common clones seen on campus, in my opinion, are the “vintage” clones.  These students, excuse me, clones are identifiable by their jeans that seem to have been borrowed from dear old dad, who wore them when he was in school.  They are fraying at the seams, have uneven signs of wear, possibly even holes, and dangling, loose threads.  In all likelihood though, these jeans were recently purchased at Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle or, for the Economics majors, in the Mossimo section of Target.  Holding these jeans on is a rather wide belt, which is also showing signs of vintage distress, complete with an obnoxiously large and shiny belt buckle.  
Covering their torsos are well worn t-shirts, each with some form of eagle or dragon graphic swooping in from the shoulder or wrapping itself around the neck.  The clones may also be seen wearing the tour shirts of artists like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix or AC/DC.  On their heads you will often find vintage trucker hats which are worn sideways in order to protect their ears from overexposure to sun, I’m not sure what that is all about.  Their eyewear consists of huge, and when I say huge I mean gigantic, sunglasses, which are sometimes white in color.  Don’t ask.  If I could, I would insert one of those smileys here; the one that is looking down and shaking it’s head at the embarrassment of another.  Just use your imagination. 
The vintage clones come in both male and female versions.  Though they appear identical in dress and demeanor, the female clones can be identified by the butterfly, fairy or tribal symbol tattooed on their lower back.  These tattoos, which can usually only be seen if the female is wearing the obligatory “low rider” jeans, are commonly referred to as tramp stamps.
I understand the want or need to fit in and I’m not completely innocent here.  This whole blog was started because of my insecurities about being my age and still in college.  That’s a whole other entry though.  My point is that, in order to ease my own insecurities and blend in, I too have engaged in pack behavior.  I’ve been known to wear the occasional pair of brand new vintage jeans (did you catch the oxymoron?). Hell, Lucky Brand Jeans are the only brand in my closet.  There may even be a few graphic tees tucked away in my drawers somewhere.
But I would’ve thought that the urge to look like everyone else was more of a grade school thing.  Notice that I said grade, not grad or even undergrad.  Isn’t college supposed to be where one comes to find out who they are and express their individuality?  Maybe I’ve already answered my own question.  Could it be that our own insecurities outweigh our need for individuality and instead of standing out, we choose to merely blend in?  There is safety in numbers, right?  
If I look just like the guy sitting next to me, maybe no one will notice that I’m 36.  If the girl in front of me looks just like the girl next to her, maybe nobody will see that her heart is broken or that her parents are divorced.  Yes, there is safety in numbers.
Looking back, what was supposed to be a rant on clichés has evolved into an argument against and a defense of clichés and pack behavior.  I guess I will need a poll.  That’s what you guys seem to respond to most anyways.  Those of you who read my blog can leave comments you know.  Don’t be shy.
ELI3

No comments: